Monday, January 12, 2009

Very cool

Eppendork has a very large tattoo on her back - it is beautiful and it hurt lots - especially over the spine.  However, I don't have one of my science and now I am thinking I want one - where should I start methinks?  I do believe it will require much thought - the last one took around 10 years to happen. What made Eppendork think about this?  I was reading Carl Zimmer blog "The Loom" and I came across this - the Science Tattoo Emporium and it's tre cool.  I also love Carl Zimmer's Parasite Rex - a very rocking parasite book - it's still on my bookshelf.  You should read it.

Check out those fangs! How cool is the very ordinary tapeworm?!  Click on the picture it will take you to Parasite Rex.


E.

PS:  Did anyone see that House episode where they pulled the twenty foot tapeworm from inside someone who couldn't feel pain - awesome!                   

4 comments:

Toaster Sunshine said...

I've been toying around with the idea of a science tattoo for a long time. An elaborate peptide of my much better half's name (seems too smalmy) or labeling my internal organs for easy reference, or...I don't know. It's not fear of needles or pain that keeps me from it, I think it's more the permanence of it and that I have yet to find a science concept or technique that's so cool to me that I'd want to etch it into my flesh. Now if only I could get an interactive tattoo, I'd probably get a calculator on my forearm, or at least an abacus.

If you got encapsulated quantum dots as a tattoo, would it be sparkly? Not that I want a sparkly tattoo, but the principle of it.

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Oh, I hope that's not a contender for your tat! :-)

While I definitely want another tattoo, the memory of how much it hurt (and the itching as it healed--yuck!) is keeping me in check.

Miss Outlier said...

I saw that episode - just freaky when she jumps off the balcony and lands without so much as a yelp...

I have often thought of getting a tattoo, and in fact designed one that has F=ma (Newton's 2nd law) cleverly hidden. But I thought that might be too science-geeky, so I'm still thinking about it...

Did you know they now have tattoo ink on the market designed to disintegrate when hit by laser (http://www.infinitink.com)? This is so it can be removed if necessary later in life. I think I would do that if I ever got a tattoo - because that's just cool science right there.

PhizzleDizzle said...

that is a frickin awesome scary-ass picture. foshizzle.